Friday, May 8, 2009

Corn snakes? when do they sleep? and best substrate?


Answers:
My snakes, all of them, seem to sleep whenever and as often as they can but they are all nocturnal so they sleep the majority during the day.

I have used a few different sub's, paper towels, AstroTurf, wet compacted sand so it is stiff after it dries, wood chis (made for reptiles), newspapers, etc...

I like newspaper but the snakes seems to prefer wood chips. He loves it. I like newspapers cause they are easier to clean but the snake likes the wood chips. When I feed my reptiles I place them in containers, basically to avoid compaction and to monitor eating.

-Good luck.
They sleep in the cupboard between the porridge and the Weetabix. Oh, sorry, thought you said Corn Flakes.
they sleep during the day i have my tank set up with just simple cage carpet and a log for him to sleep under and branches to climb the substrate is up to you, i went with cage carpet since when i got him i was working in a pet store and i was looking for something that was easy to maintain.

hope this helps
Cornsnakes are most active at dusk and sleep mostly during the day, although they will be active at times during the day too.
I use Beech Chips for mine, Shredded Aspen is good, or for hatchlings and very young, newspaper can be used to help prevent impaction from swallowed substrate.
NEVER use Pine or Cedar for ANY reptile as they contain toxins that are toxic to ALL reptiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment