Friday, May 8, 2009

Couple Leopard Gecko Questions.?

I am wanting to get a baby leopard gecko, I have a couple questions.
Firstly, I will be using a 10 gallon, with an undertank heater.
I know that alot of people use paper towels for there babys, but is it okay to use with a undertank heater? will it get under the paper somehow and burn itself? would it just be better off to use cage carpet for it? How much is to much handling? should it be left alone till it gets bigger? I already have a adult leopard gecko, so I know pretty much everything else for caring for a leo, but never had a baby one.
Also do you know of any places on the net where I can order less then 1000 mealworms?? Thanks
Answers:
Undertank heaters are dangerous for any reptile because they do not have heat sensors in their stomachs. They can easily overheat because they don't know to move, and their intestines slowly cook. So please, don't use an under tank heater for your babies OR adults.

I don't know why you would use a paper towel, considering the best substrate is the natural sand that they are used to. I'll admit, paper towels are easy to change and clean, but I believe the paper particles are not good for injesting as they would expand.

As for handling: I believe that, as long as you are gentle and the animal is not stressed, you should be OK to handle it. Most stores don't sell true "babies" but rather juvinelles who already have healty appetites established. Give it a couple of days to re-adjust to your house and new cage, but then you should be fine to handle it.

to purchase mealworms: I'd suggest going to www.froogle.com and search for "mealworms" and sort through the responses to find exactly what you want :-) I saw 50, and 500.
Undertank heaters are the BEST heat source to use with Leopard Geckos. The belly heat is needed to digest their food properly. It is important to remember to use a thermostat or rheostat to control the temperature, however. I only use paper towels for substrate with baby Leos, as they are easily impacted if they eat any kind of particulate substrate such as sand. Burns are not a worry when the UTH is used on a thermostat either. Paper towels are easily changed out as well to keep a clean environment.

Regular gentle handing is important for babies, if you don't handle them as babies, they will be harder to "tame" as an older animal. Start out by holding him inside the tank if he is jumpy, always scooping him up from underneath, not grabbing him from above as this seems to be 'threatening" to them. Let him walk across your hand, etc inside the tank until he feels comfortable with you, and you feel like you don't have to worry about him jumping off and trying to escape.

I order all of my feeders from reptilefood.com. Keep in mind that mealies to have a lot more chitin ("shell") than crickets, and are a bit harder to digest for babies. I try to feed mine more crickets, and keep just a few mealies in their bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment