Sunday, August 2, 2009

How can i keep crawfish from makeing holes in my yard?

We live close to the beach and some bayous plus our back yard holds water...Any advice on what to do...I hate the ugly things...
Answers:
I have been looking for the same answer. I live in south Louisiana and understand your pain. And to your other, helpful answers of 'move'...Ha Ha. How about, I have owned the same home for 17 years, and just began having problems with the crawfish last year. In my research, the only things I found were;
1. try to keep the area as dry as possible-which is difficult where I live and near the beach and bayou;
2. If you can determine a certain path/entry point, into the yard, to put down that black plastic edging, that is used around trees-the crawfish are supposed to head the other direction, because they won't dig underneath (not sure about that, I have some holes that are 18-24 inches deep??);
3. I believe the only thing that I read would get rid of them- other than a crawfish boil- was 'Orthene-WP'- I am fairly certain that was the only one named. I have not tried it, yet. I have been looking for some other alternative, but it is not out of the question.
These boogers have my middle yard, soo messed up, I can't cut it with the lawn mower, anymore. I have to use the weedeater. They have also, put enough holes around the walkway, up front, that I had to redo it, today, becasue there was enough dirt missing, that part of the walk was now uneven. I filled the remaining holes, with sand. Don't know if that will help dry the holes or deter the critters, but it will, at least, reduce the low spots caused by the settling.
Please let me know, if you find anything, that was able to help.
First, with all due respect, my advice is either learn to accept them or move.

We humans have a tendency to move places we probably shouldn't, then complain about what's been there long before we tried to live there.

It's like moving under the flight path of the airport, then complaining about the noise.

The crawfish are harmless to you. They are just trying to survive in a world where we humans keep consuming more and more animal habitat.

Now, having gotten that off my chest, let me make a suggestion that you try to hide the crawdaddy mounds instead of destroying them. They probably don't come all the way up to the house, since you would have trouble with moisture intrusion if your slab was wet. If you can observe about how far they come up towards the house, you can landscape with some plants like Louisiana Iris and Spirea to screen out the view of their homes so that you can both stay.
You can't and please respect the nature of living things!
move

No comments:

Post a Comment