Sunday, August 2, 2009

How do I stop crickets escaping?

I breed crickets for my reptiles, what sort of things do you recommend to line the top of their box with so that they can't climb out. Some sa vaseline, some say sticky tape, I am worried this will stick the crickets to the box though and kill them, so I want something to make it slippery so they just fall back into box.
Answers:
The vaseline makes it slippery for them and they just fall. I got through the same problem with my bearded dragon cage. But trust me it does work and no crickets of mine has died from it yet, although the odd little bugger does escape (I think that's inevitable).
you should grease line it.
I used a very tiny holes from a screen door on mine and it worked.
Use a giant rubbermaid tote and put some screen on the top. We use an extra large dog food container, but a tote will probably cheaper than the setup we have. Couple screws, some plexiglass or wood, and some glue. You'll be good to go. After you cut the hole in the lid, cut some screen about an inch larger on each side. Put a line of glue around hole, lay the screen on it, screw on small pieces of wood/plexi glass on to the top to hold the screen on more firmly.
Put a screen lid on top of the container that you keep the crickets in.
just use a pickle jar, they can't climb glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment