Thursday, July 30, 2009

For a red eared slider how long should i keep my light on, should i turn it off?

like do i turn it off at night?
Answers:
They need to have 12-14 hours of both UVA and UVB lighting. During the night, it is recomended to turn the lights off so that they can get some sleep. They do make night time lights that are either red or blue that produce heat but they can't see red or blue so it doesn't effect their sleeping habits. My lights are on for my RES from 7AM to 8:30PM on a timer. The day lights go off, the night light comes on.
i have a red eared slider

ur supposed to leave it on during night but i never did
Turtles need 12 hours of the basking light aswell as 12 hours of the uvb light at the same time. At night if it gets cold then you can use a night bulb such as a red bulb or black light bulb for reptiles for heat but the turtle cannot see the light so it wont stress him out. Every animal needs a night cycle and a day cycle.
I just keep mine on during day hours. Or I just turn it on in the morning and turn it off whenever I go to bed.
Leave the light on about the same amount of time as the sun is up. This does not mean that you must turn it on and off with the sun, I never did, but they do need the yearly cycle of changing lengths of day. I would go bananas if the sun never went down and I could not get away from it, they might be also. Also, with reptiles you need to adjust the temperature in their environment with the seasons also. Enjoy keeping them, they are quite entertaining.
Lighting should not be the heating source, and it SHOULD be turned off at night.

http://www.redearslider.com

No comments:

Post a Comment