Thursday, July 30, 2009

Gravid Frog-Eyed Gecko?

My female frog eyed gecko became gravid in December but still has not laid her clutch. Does anyone know how long Frog-Eyeds carry their eggs? And whether or not I should be worried.
Answers:
I haven't had that type of Gecko before but I did some research for you on this:

Sometimes the females may have started to develop eggs prior to mating, sometimes they start to produce eggs once they have mated. This is dependent on the individual female and on temperature (i.e. if they think it is spring). This is one of the reasons that the time from mating to egg laying can vary. Normally, the female will lay her eggs anywhere from 2-5 weeks after mating.

I do think they can become egg bound just like birds but I also think she might be fine as she might not produce any if you didn't give her a mate. Have you given her a laying box? And has she laid in the past? The fact she hasn't laid is fine, I would only get worried if she is acting lethargic or out of place, it also says in the link provided below they can stop eating for about a week and this is normal.
Hello..no idea how long it could take..I'll give you site in case no one else does either...females can get egg bound at times...it's a good reptile site / store with all the Know about any reptile %26 the one we use for ours..Take Care :)

No comments:

Post a Comment