Friday, July 31, 2009

Housing baby sliders with adult sliders?

I have in my pond 2 adult female sliders. I was wondering if it was okay to add my baby slider(2 inches) as well. Would there be a problem? I know other animal species will kill younger ones of there own kind, so I don't want to do it until I'm sure it'll be okay.
Answers:
This is not a good idea yet. Turtles are very dominant creatures by nature. There's a chance that the bigger ones will harass the smaller one, not let it eat (which leads to under-development), possibly start fights and quite possibly kill it. Once your baby reaches about 7 or 8 inches then it should be fine (full grown females are 12" in diameter) because it will be big enough to hold it's own against them. Even adding the now baby when it's bigger still holds possible problems. As I've stated, turtles are dominant and territorial and because it'd be a new turtle in their home they may still have the risks listed above. This may not happen when the turtles bigger but it really depends on the turtle it's self. There's always a chance of there being a problem when putting two turtles together that haven't always been. This can also go the other way, however, and the "baby" would take over the pond and be dominant and agressive of the older turtles. I hope you have a good sized pond (the chance of three females, holy cow, I have 1 female in a 180 gallon tank). Anyways, bottom line, I'd wait.
If they are about the same size, it won't be a problem..TC %26 Peace :)
As long as each animal has plenty of room, turtles are not overly territorial or aggressive so it should be fine.

(I am hoping that by 'pond' you mean something nice and big!)
pretty sure it's not a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment