Thursday, July 30, 2009

Froglets and food.?

Ok I'm raising 112 tadpoles for 11 classes in my mom's school. I have raised them before for a few years, but every time it's come to froglets it've kinda been a lil ify on food. I've tried (altho i dont kno if it helped) to give them turtle food in past years (that is, dried maggots origionally for turtles), and once it comes in overseas I'm trying foster and smith's amphibian food so see if it works.

I was also thinking of cultavating maggots (put old meat in a jar, cover with gauze, and let flies lay eggs on the gauze-like that one italian guy did in the 1500's), but I have no clue if it would work.

I would give them bloodworms but my attempts to find them in the wild are failures and the petstore stopped carrying them.

Will the turtle food work, or even some raw meat? I always thought movement triggered the reaction.


Thank you sooo much.
Answers:
Aren't froglets cute??

In the wild, the froglets would have food available at all times and it is important that the froglets can feed when they feel the need. To provide food in the setup, springtails can be introduced into the substrate and a piece of fruit can be left in the setup which will attract the fruit flies. By doing this, the froglets should be able to find food without the food causing stress to the froglets (i.e., the flies crawling on the froglets). Froglets should always have food available. Some people have reported that froglets that go more than 24 hrs without food may die.

If you don't know where to get springtails - go here:
http://www.edsflymeat.com/

Good luck!
~Morgana
Boil peas and smash them up that is what is used to feed Bette Frys
hi you can try fruit fly which you can by in a pet shop.
they all so can be fund in the wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment