Thursday, July 30, 2009

Found branch - ok to use in vivarium? It's unidentified?

Hi,
Our area had a strong winds recently and a tornado nearby. Because of this many branches were blown off of trees. I found an intersting branch that I would like to use in my vivarium for my chinese water dragon. The branch is still alive. It is ok to put a live branch into it? Or should I worry about mold, fungus, parasites, etc. I know when you have a dead branch, you scrub it and maybe bake it. Do you do the same with a live branch? The tree may have been a hackberry, or maybe an oak. The bark, if there is bark, is smooth and tight to the branch. So would it be ok to leave that on? Or should I scrap this idea altogether?
Thanks.
Answers:
yes its cool to keep it if it won't fit in your oven you can mix a solution of 4 oz of bleach to a gallon of water wash the branch or soak it if you can. then rinse well allow it to dry in the sun for 3 hours then rinse again. do this until there is no white residue and no smell of bleach probably 3 times will be enough the sun forces the soaked in bleach to come to the surface then it naturally dissipates the bleach just like it removes chlorine from a swimming pool.
I would imagine its ok, I would definatley bake it and maybe use a mild bleach solution and try to bake out the pitch or anything. Im not sure what to do. ask these guys
http://www.allexperts.com/el/704-9/repti...
They take no more then 3 days to reply, no spam or anything and actual experts that know what they are talking about good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment