Saturday, May 22, 2010

How do you safely ship a salamander?

I need to overnight a spotted salamander from Tennessee to Texas, and I'm not sure how to do it. I've shipped scorpions before, but salamanders are obviously at a greater risk of drying out. If anyone has done this before or has any good ideas, please let me know. And please reference your information. There are plenty of people around Y!A who don't know what they're talking about, and I need to be absolutely sure I know what I'm doing 'cause I really don't want to lose this little guy.
Answers:
These are usually shipped in those deli-like plastic containers or small Tupperware-like containers with a few pinhole air holes (not too much ventilation) and a wad of very damp moss that lightly packs the salamander in the tub.

Don't actually do this, but you should add moss to the point that the salamander would not move a lot if you shake the tub!

The lid is usually taped in place, then placed in the actual shipping box with a little additional padding. Air holes are not needed in the outer box as long as it is not taped up air-tight.

Other than the dampened moss, about like you would do for a scorpion, etc.

(You can replace the moss with shredded sponges, wadded paper towels, etc. Some shippers even make a 'salamander sandwich'- damp moss, wet paper towel, salamander, wet towel, a little more moss, lid.)

If you suspect cold temps, you can also include a chemical hand warmer or more in the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment