Saturday, May 22, 2010

How long can a red-eared slider live without water? ours is in the backyard somewhere, but lost.?

any tips on how to lure him out of hiding?
Answers:
Well, not too long. A couple weeks at the most. They have to be in water to eat so as long as they are in your back yard they probably won't eat. A good way to lure them is to soak the yard. I mean like drench. Make it kinda swampy. This usually gets them to come back. In addition to the "swamp" add a kiddy pool of water that they can get into. Good luck! I hope it comes back.
actually they can go for a very long time without water and will eat out of water, also they can go for several months without water. I had one that was really good at escapeing, once he got out in the house and showed up several months later (completly fine) another time he got out outside and we found him in my nieghbours yard over a YEAR later (still alive and healthy) RES aren't native to the area so we I know it is him. Anyway put out a large thing of water in the yard that it can get in and it should probably come to it. Also put some live fish or some form of food in the bowl/dish. Hope you find your turtle.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with the prior post. My RES disappeared for 4 months in my yard and reappeared today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is amazing.... MI e also reappeared today after about 4 months of bieng I the yard with out any body of water .... he seems healthy. !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is amazing.... MI e also reappeared today after about 4 months of bieng I the yard with out any body of water .... he seems healthy. !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a small pond with four young RES in it.
    One day I noticed only one. Somehow the other 3 escaped.
    2 months later (last week) one of the escapees showed up walking around my patio.
    Stunted growth, lethargic, but alive.
    He's in a different pond now (escape proof... I think).

    Interestingly enough, the one that stayed behind was the runt if the batch.
    He now dwarfs the guy that escaped and came back.
    Goes to show what water and food can do over a 2 month period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Side affect of burmation its a type of hibernation the res slow its metabolism and motor functions down that's why it appeared lethargic

      Delete
  5. Well i just found one of my turtles underneath my door way but he ist moving or anything and hes been gone fore like a month.How can know if hes dead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Burmation is the answer to all your stories. Burmation is a type of hibernation res seem to hit this period durning winter when temptures drop or when the natural environment is low on food. Res being aquatic still can survive for years out side its pound due to being able to absorb large ampunt of oxygen throw any source of water but chances are burmation ia the reason for your stories

    ReplyDelete