Saturday, May 22, 2010

How do you take care of Asian Wood turtles?

Yesterday, I purchased two Asian Wood Turtles. The petshop owner told me that they are still young. They are about 4 inches large. I am keeping the in a very very large glass and wire reptile tank. I have three types of lighting: A ceramic heat lamp, a black light, and a long UV light. I have a bowl for drinking and soaking. I have been feeding them a mixture of veggies and turtle food. For bedding, I have some type of wood reptile chips. What else do I need to do to take care of them? I also have a heat rock that is suppose to be very safe and not burn whatever is using it. I haven't placed this in their home tho. Woudl they enjoy something like this? I want my turtles to be very happy. Please help! Any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance!
Answers:
Hello, just be patient, they are in a new enviroment, sounds like your doing everything right ..but NO ELECTRIC HEAT ROCKS, not %26 never good to use, for one thing you won't know if they've malfunctioned till they burn or electricute the critters..if you feel they need more heat, you can either add another bulb ( we use the party bulbs , nice colors %26 not too bright on the reptiles or turtles ) or and under tank heat pad, nothing electric belongs inside any reptile habitat, especially heat rocks ..Take Care :)
Your first job is to identify the species. The term 'Asian Wood Turtle' does not properly identify a single species.

- Giant Asian Wood Turtle, Heosemy grandis? Usually called the Giant Asian Pond Turtle- (http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/world_o...

- Vietnamese Wood Turtle, Geoemyda spengli? Usually called the Black Breasted Leaf Turtle- (http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/world_o...

Or something else?

Once you ID it properly, you can find cares for it on-line or at the http://www.austinsturtlepage.com... site.
do not use the heat rock


go to google


type in


asian wood turtle care


and next time do it before you buy the reptile

No comments:

Post a Comment