Monday, May 24, 2010

How to moisten dry snake skin?

I have a huge snake skin hanging on my wall, about 7 to 8 feet long, I'm moving and need to pack it. When i recieved it, it was moist and rolled up, over time it dryed and now is brittle. Anyone know how to re-moisten it without ruining it? or how I can get it rolled up without breaking it?
Answers:
You can re-moisten it with a regular bowl of water. but I wouldn't try to re-roll it like pantyhose.. I'd just "fold" it up a few times, and store it loosely for moving.
What has worked 4 me is spraying them with a bottle sprayer, and wait a bit , if to dry they will tear...then fold them up with wax paper between the folds so the skin don't stick to it self....worked well 4 me.good luck
I have given away hundreds of snake sheds over the years and I can tell you that once they dry out after being shed they are brittle and there isn't much you can do but this will help.

I have had a little luck wetting them down with warm water in a spray bottle and then once they are nice and moist you can roll them but not too small.

Give the skin about a 15 minute soak time but not too heavy a soak, just where it begins to form water droplets on the skin. Then rub clear, natural mineral oil into the skin very carefully by hand and let it sit for a couple of hours rubbing more into it about an hour into it.

You will need something about the size of a baseball that is circular in shape, not sure what you might have laying around but the larger the better. Anyway, cover the item with saran wrap and then rub mineral oil all over the saran wrap, then roll the skin around the large object and then lightly rub mineral oil on it as you roll it on and cover it with saran and use scotch tape to hold the saran in place. Wrap a towel and blanket around the whole thing and box it up.

-Good luck.
Baby Oil
Is this a shed snake skin or a skin taken from a dead snake? If it's a shed skin, give up, they will just disintegrate over time, they're too thin really to preserve. If it s snake skin, you can care for it just like you would care for leather.

2 comments:

  1. I am wondering if anyone has been successful with any of the above mentions techniques. I need to take down and move an 8 foot long snake skin. Can I do this without ruining it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 ft anaconda skin what to do head and all .please advise

    ReplyDelete